Panty And Stocking With Garterbelt
I have just recently got introduced to this Anime thanks to the lovely people over at the KPHQ
. Now, I am on episode 9 of it and I plan on watching more (*cough*andwatchingitasitypethis*cough*)
. And, I am already filing this Anime as NSFW (Not
meant for people under 13 years old) and a definite
guilty pleasure. Now, honestly, I was very skeptical to watch this at first. I waited for weeks to actually watch the first episode proper. I had already heard of how "mature" (in the bad sense) that it was and the animation style. I saw videos of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt on YouTube, but they were just clips and nothing more than that. I wasn't going to get spoiled of anything that is possibly going to happen later. When I finally did watch the first episode, the thing that stuck out the most for me was it's brilliant soundtrack. I cannot deny that I am head over heals for it's soundtrack in general. Especially "Fly Away" by TeddyLoid. It's soundtrack reminds me of America's newer songs that are receiving smash hits. Most specifically Ke$ha, with her severely auto tuned and techno pop songs and even down to the lyrics as this Anime pushes the boundaries of what's decent to show on television and what is just too much above and beyond and leaves my sex conservative American mind going "Woah - slow down there. Wait - WHAT was just shown? How did that get past the censors?!". From male sperm soldiers trying to get out of their condom prison to Panty's dream of having sex with 1,000 Earth males before her and Stocking go back to heaven to mecha-Transformer referencing condoms and dildos fighting on opposite ends of the battlefield to Panty and Stocking and various other people using sex toys to fight off zombies. Yes - I just said all of that. Now, just let it sink in for a while. Better now? Okay, let's continue. I am also surprised that there is SO much of American slang terms and cuss words used in this Anime. Seriously, just this entire Anime would make the FCC's eyes bleed and hands burn from how much there is of mature content. And, I am only on episode 9. I wonder how much more I am going to be succumbed to? Who knows? But, I am going to have a damn good time doing it. Anyways, I am going to be giving a little background on the main characters and story so far.
- Daten City, based on the phrase 'datenshi (堕天使)' in Japanse literally meaning 'Fallen Angel', is the scourge of world and where people are constantly bombarded with evil spirits and pressure of the word around them whilst living in between Heaven and Hell. Up in heaven, God and his many disciples became angry that the Anarchy sisters have such bad morals and bad behavior for the angels of heaven to be having that they literally kick them out of Heaven and order them to collect 'heaven coins' from fighting and defeating 'ghosts' with their angelic powers in order for them to come back. While chaos ensues with the sisters, it's up to Reverend Garterbelt to shape them up and be their mentor and conscience plus get them on track to have them be able to return to Heaven.
- The older of the two 'Anarchy Sisters'. She has an affinity for sex and fashion, and is seen in every episode doing something gratuitous or having sex with another man that happens to be handsome or dashing. It almost comes to the point of having an addiction for sex. As well, angels of heaven are able to transform any object of their choosing into holy weapons to defeat 'ghosts' (evil spirits) and receive heaven coins, so Panty uses her panties to form her gun Backlace. The animators conceal her private area with her hair 90% of the time when she transforms her panties.
- The younger of the two. She's a gothic girl with extremely long hair. She enjoys fashion, but not to the point of Panty. She is quite often seen with her stuffed animal cat "Honekoneko" ('Bony cat'). When Panty has an addiction for sex, Panty has an unnatural addiction for sweets. She goes to the point of pre-ordering cakes before they come out and trying ice cream the day it arrives at the new ice cream shop. Her stockings transform into katanas, but when the battle heats up she takes both off and forms dual katanas. During her actions within the show, she has shown signs that she is actually 'too kinky to torture'. Enjoying bondage and electrocution is just the two so far.
- The Anarchy sisters pet zipper-dog. He's the one who takes most of the sister's violence anywhere they go. Being electrocuted and crushed is just two forms of abuse he sees in every episode. He also drives the sister's Humvee See-Through
when they aren't driving it or in the middle of a ghost battle. He's been deemed the 'woobie' in a sort of sense and closely related to the characters Kenny from South Park and Gir from Invader Zim.
- The sister's guardian on Earth and their main role model (to an extent
) while they are forced to live in Daten City. He's African with large pink lips, a very large afro and his clothes are pure white with a red stole which is embroidered with two white crosses on each side. It is hinted throughout that he is homosexual and more than enjoys
the company of young males. He gets very frustrated with the sisters, and has only cussed one time. Even with his many quirks and things wrong with him, he is acutely the most sane of any of the cast and really does try to get them back on track so they can return to Heaven. However, he is the most unknown out of anyone as of yet (on episode 10, mind you).
Well, so you have a back story on the most important and main characters as of yet, right? Well, how about the entire show? Who in the hell though of this? Well, the production team was literally on vacation for rest and relaxation from Gurren Laggan and had one too many beers plus some Sake and started thinking of ideas for the show under humorous discussion. The show that really had made this crude was cited by Hiromi Wakabayashi on the trip and admitted to it being none other than the controversial American cartoon Drawn Together
. All of the content for the show was made on the trip, but literally the names 'Panty' and 'Stocking' were coined at the actual first meeting of the crew. WOW. So, an entire Anime was made by people who were drinking on vacation and had one too many? That is why it's.....thiis way. Plus, I have seen Drawn Together - there's some MESSED UP stuff on that show. So, I have an entire new look on this Anime. I can take it as not being that serious. Okay, good.
Anyways, many people have different preferences. Me? Give me a good Sci-Fi/Mecha/Action/Shounen Anime and I am good to go. I absolutely love those kind. But, what made me keep watching this? Well, the soundtrack. That's what drew me in. The opening sequence, to me, is just amazing. I have no idea why, either. Take a look and listen for yourself
Unfortunately, though, my guilty pleasure only goes so much before I am feeling bad about myself. And, this Anime makes me feel that way. I literally only watched about 8 episodes of Drawn Together and I have never seen it again. And, personally, I don't want to. This Anime, though, doesn't make me want to do that. However, I am still reluctant to show my actual family this because there is soooooo much mature content in it because of those inappropriate jokes and cuss words and sex. And, my meter is starting to run low, actually. I am going to be continuing this Anime no doubt. But, I am not in a hurry to get through every episode either. And, yes, guilt pleasure goes a looong ways for me. I am still wanting to watch this, though. I am very much enjoying it and it's soundtrack gives me eargasms. Because, it's that good. And, that is the only Anime next to Kuroshitsuji that I am thinking "Wow - now THAT'S a soundtrack".
And, one final note. Everyone has their different tastes and quirks. I am a Sci-Fi freak, but this Anime is growing on me like a fine wine or something. In the beginning it's really bitter but as you get through it and taste it it's really good and you enjoy it's company. I guess that's just what everyone has to do with Panty And Stocking with Garterbelt. Just let it grow on you. Because, it's working for me. In the beginning, I really didn't like it. But, now I am going to be watching all of it. What do you know? XD
Anywayyyyys, screencaps below for your enjoyment. Remember, this show is inappropriate at times.
( Pictures under this [fake] cutCollapse )